Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich
Match Timing- Tonight, 01:00 am
Bundesliga marks its return after a one month sabbatical with a mouth-watering tie between Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich is the first match of the 2nd half season.
The match will be played at the BayArena and the 4th placed Leverkusen play host to the leaders Muenchen.
Leverkusen coach Heiko Herrlich has no headache as far as the first team is concerned as almost all the players are injury free, with his main dilemma is to think about stopping the Bavarians who have transformed themselves completely under Jupp Heynckes. The defending champions looks a shadow of the team that performed under Carlo Ancelotti and now have won 8 games on the trot under the coach that won the 2012 Champions League with them, which includes wins against the likes of Borussia Dortmund and PSG.
Bayern Munich have some injury concerns heading into this match (Joshua Kimmich, Manuel Neuer and midfielder Thiago remain sidelined), but it shouldn’t be too much of a concern for Heynckes as he has too many talent to choose from. With new signing in Sandro Wagner from Hoffenheim providing more options up front, though any chance of of making it to the starting XI will come as a big surprise even to the player considering robert Lewandowski is fit and firing on all cylinders.
Bayer Leverkusen, on the other hand, are performing far better than last season when they finished at a disappointing 12th in Bundesliga. Now they can even aim for a top-4 finish and dream about Champions League football once again.
Take a look at some statistics involving both these teams-
1. Bayer Leverkusen are on a 12-match unbeaten streak, the longest among all the teams in the Bundesliga this season.
2. Bayern Munich have won six times in the nine away games they played in Bundesliga this season.
3. Bayer Leverkusen held Bayern 0-0 the last time these two sides played at BayArena. Leverkusen’s Tin Jedvaj saw the red card in the 59th minute.
4. That’s interesting- Bayer Leverkusen have hosted Bayern Munich in the first game of the 2nd half on five previous occasions, losing three times.
5. Bayer Leverkusen have scored at least one goal in each of their last 17 matches.
Bayer Leverkusen- 3/1
Bayern Munich- 17/20