After thumping victories in the recently concluded Test series against West Indies, the Men in Blue is now all set to face the Windies in a five-match ODI series. Virat Kohli-led side would be looking to dominate the inexperienced West Indies side while the Jason Holder-led side will be looking to stage an upset.
Before the start of the first match in Guwati tomorrow, let us dig deep in the history of both the teams and look at some interesting Trivia about India-West Indies in One-Day Internationals.
Here is some interesting Trivia of India & West Indies in ODIs:
1. The first ever ODI match between India and West Indies was played in Birmingham on June 9, 1979, and the result went in the favor of the Windies side. West Indies team won the match by 9 wickets.
2. The first bilateral series between the two teams was played in West Indies in the year1982-83. This three-match series was won by West Indies 2-1.
3. The Windies came to play a bilateral series in India for the first time in the year 1983-84. West Indies had annihilated India and won the series by 5-0.
4. Till now, 18 bilateral ODI series have been played between the two teams. India have emerged victorious in 10 while 8 have been won by the West Indies.
5. 121 one-day matches have been played between India and the West Indies, so far. Indian team has emerged victorious in 56 out of those 121 matches while the West Indies have managed to win 61 matches. One match resulted in a tie.
6. The highest total posted by India in a match against West Indies has been 418 for the loss of 5 wickets. The score was made in an ODI which was played in Indore on 8 December 2011.
7. West Indies went on to score 333 in a match against India, which eventually became the biggest total posted by the Windies against the Men in Blue. The match was played in Jamshedpur on December 7, 1983.
8. India's lowest score against West Indies is 100, which was made by the team in an ODI that took place in Ahmedabad on 16 November 1983.
9. West Indies's lowest score against India is 121, which was made in an ODI that was played in Port of Spain on 27 April 1997.
10. If we talk about playing in India, the lowest score posted by the Windies was in a match that was played in Kolkata on April 27, 1993. Windies scored just 123 runs in that match.
11. A total of 683 runs was scored in an ODI between India & West Indies, which went to became the highest number of runs scored in a full ODI match. (Adding the scores of both the teams)
12. On October 13, 1983, a total of 284 runs were scored in a match between India and West Indies, which went on to become the lowest amount of runs scored in a full match between both the teams.
13. India achieved their biggest win in ODIs against the West Indies on January 31, 2007, in Vadodara, when India defeated the Windies by a big margin of 160 runs.
14. India's biggest win in terms of wickets against West Indies was recorded on April 27, 1997, in Port of Spain as they defeated the Caribbean side by 10 wickets.
15. The only match that was tied between India and West Indies was played in Perth on December 6, 1991.
16. Sachin Tendulkar has been the highest run scorer against the West Indies side. He made a total of 1573 runs in 39 matches at an average of 52.43, which included 5 centuries and 11 half-centuries.
17. If we talk about the current team, the Indian skipper Virat Kohli has scored the most numbers of runs against the West Indies. Virat scored 1387 runs at an average of 60.30 in 27 matches, which includes 4 centuries and 9 half-centuries
18. Desmond Haynes of West Indies holds the record of scoring most number of runs against India. Haynes scored 1357 runs in 36 matches at an average of 42.40, which consisted 2 centuries and 9 half-centuries.
19. The record for making a highest individual score in ODIs against West Indies belongs to Virender Sehwag. Sehwag played a blistering inning of 219 on 8th December 2011 in Indore.
20. West Indies batsman Desmond Haynes holds the record for scoring the highest individual score against India. He scored 152 runs in an ODI played in Georgetown on 21st March 1989.
21. The record for having the highest strike rate against Indian belongs to Ricardo Powell. In 11 innings of 12 matches, he made 402 runs at an average of 44.66, in which his strike rate was 109.53. Most strikes against India in West Indies ODI
22. Virender Sehwag has the record for having the best strike against West Indies. Sehwag made 815 runs in 27 innings at an average of 33, in which his strike rate was 102.57.
23. Sachin Tendulkar has the record for scoring most number of centuries against West Indies. Tendulkar has scored 5 centuries against the Windies.
24. Chris Gayle has scored the most number of centuries against India. Gayle has scored 4 centuries against the Men in Blue.
25. The record of getting out on a golden most number of times also belongs to Sachin Tendulkar. Sachin has been dismissed 5 times on zero against the West Indies.
26. The record of getting out on a golden duck maximum number of times for West Indies belongs to Chris Gayle. He too has been dismissed on a score of zero 5 times.
27. Chris Gayle also holds the record for scoring the highest number of runs in a single series against India. He scored 455 runs at an average of 65 in a series that was played in 2002-03.
28. Ajinkya Rahane holds the record for scoring the highest number of ruins in a single series against West Indies. Rahane made 336 runs at an average of 67.20 in a five-match ODI series that was played in 2017.
29. Courtney Walsh holds the record for taking most number of wickets against India. Walsh has picked 44 wickets in 38 matches at an average of 24.15.
30. Indian pacer Kapil Dev holds the record for scalping most number of wickets against West Indies. He took 43 wickets in 42 matches at an average of 28.88.
31. If we talking about the most number of wickets taken in a match, for India, it is Anil Kumble who has dismissed most number of West Indies batsman in a single match. He picked up 6 wickets and gave away just 12 runs in his 6.1 overs, which also included 2 maiden overs.
32. Sir Vivian Richards and Garden Grunge hold the record for the biggest partnership against India. Both the batsmen had a 221-run stand for the second wicket in an ODI that was played in Jamshedpur on December 7, 1982.
33. It was Sourav Ganguly and Virender Sehwag who had the biggest partnership. They had a 196-run stand for the first wicket in an ODI that was played in Rajkot on November 12, 2002.
34. Mohammad Azharuddin has led the Indian team most number of times against West Indies. He led the team in 19 matches during 1991-98. India won 12 matches and lost 6 matches out of those 19 matches. One resulted in a tie.
35. Rahul Dravid holds the record of taking most number of catches in a series against West Indies. He took 14 catches in 4 matches that were played in Toronto.
36. As a wicketkeeper, Mahendra Singh Dhoni has the most number of dismissals against the West Indies. He has 40 dismissals in 33 matches.
37. It is Dinesh Ramdin who has the most number of dismissals against India.
About the Author
Sports Journalist by profession, a Cricket Fanatic by passion. Aayush Sharma has been following the game of cricket since childhood and considers Sachin Tendulkar as his idol. When in free time, he loves to read books or go out and play some gully cricket with friends. For him, Tennis ace Roger Federer and F1 Legend Michael Schumacher are the only sportspersons that reach the level of Tendulkar