MMA bad boy Conor McGregor has surrendered himself to the New York police in the wake of a backstage brawl he instigated that has forced the removal of three fights off UFC’s biggest card of the year.
The video footage appears to show the promotion’s most bankable star throwing a hand truck at a bus full of fighters, after a press conference for UFC 223 at Barclays Center.
The 29-year-old McGregor was being processed and no charges had been filed as of Thursday night.
As per the video, McGregor was with a group of people causing chaos Thursday as they took an elevator to the loading dock at Barclays Center. He can be seen tossing trash cans and being prevented from throwing a barricade at a bus during his unannounced appearance in New York.
The New York Police Department said, “McGregor threw a hand truck at a bus causing minor injury to an individual on the bus. UFC said three fights on Saturday’s UFC 223 card have been scrapped as a result of the incident.”
“The organization deems today’s disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow,” UFC said in a statement. “Individuals involved in the incident are not welcome at tomorrow’s ceremonial weigh-in or Saturday’s event at Barclays Center.”
About the Author
Shekhar Dhingra is a sports journalist with 1.5 years of experience, having worked with sports business website "Market4Sports". He resides in New Delhi and is a die-hard sports fan with special affection for cricket and badminton. He desperately waits for weekend to relax his soul by playing cricket.